Monday, August 27, 2007

A Word of Caution

As I was hastily gathering my requisite 10 feeds last week, something happened at Bloglines that I thought about over the weekend, and decided to pass on. When searching a topic, the first option on the list may not necessarily be the one you are looking for. It occurred to me that the reason this surprised me is because on Google I am rarely surprised by the order of the list of links generated. Here is what happened:

I thought it would be neat to have a link to Hillary's website. So I typed in Hillary Clinton and hit the feed search button, and (because I was in a hurry) hit the add button to the first site on the list. This was "Just Hillary" which after some brief research appears to be a not-bad site, just not the official Hillary site. The official site was several sites down on the page.

Just to make sure I was remembering correctly, I googled Hillary Clinton, and yes, her official site was the first non-sponsored link to come up.

So the moral of that story is, be sure to sample the feed before you add it; otherwise you may be in for a surprise.

No comments: