Saturday, October 6, 2007

While Waiting

While I'm waiting for my photos to upload to Flickr, which I just learned takes more time than it would take to actually draw them, I'll post for the Social Networking segment. I had checked out each of the sites, just to get an sense of them, with no actual desire to use them. Just by coincidence in the car not two hours later, I was listening to a discussion of social networking sites on NPR. It seems that the more general the site, the more potential there is for problems. I would be more inclined to join a site that was geared toward certain interests or groups. On the other hand, I think high school and college students that use facebook can feel more connected.


On the other hand, there are lots of issues surrounding these sites, several of which were brought up during the call-in show:


The most important is the safety of the sites. The information is not anywhere near guaranteed to be accurate. Also, there is no guarantee who is reading the information you are providing on the site. There is a tendency for users to be too personal, or too outrageous, in an effort to be attractive, or noticed.



Interestingly, one of the talk show callers said that she had had a managerial position, and had been very comfortable interacting with people. Since her job changed, and she now spends her time online, she has become less comfortable in social situations.



Another caller who works in a high school said that he was concerned that many schools simply forbid students from using networking sites at school; instead, shouldn't the schools be teaching students how to use this new medium in the best and safest way possible?



Very interesting stuff.

1 comment:

antoinette jeanine said...

Remind me sometime, and I'll tell you about the kid who used facebook as a dating site, which is how he found me back in freshman year. Excessively creepy stalker fellow, but at least I got a Pink Floyd CD out of the deal.